Saturday, December 22, 2007

The Perfect Christmas?

Heather asked me a good question the other day. She wanted me to “describe a perfect Christmas”. I started describing the details of “my perfect Christmas Eve". You know the warm fire, snow falling outside, a cozy chair with the kids sitting and listening to “Twas the Night Before Christmas. She quickly stopped me because that was not what she was talking about at all. She was thinking about the whole thing and not just one aspect of one part of Christmas. Ah, the differences between women and men. It is a beautiful thing.
As we continued talking, one of the major factors of “The Perfect Christmas” had to do with friends and family being around. Not until this morning, looking back over the conversation, did I realize that in our perfect version of Christmas there was not one mention of receiving gifts.
I don’t know about you but that kind of surprises me on one hand because we all love receiving gifts. However, in our conversation that never came up. You know, receiving was not the central part of a great Christmas. It was being around family and friends that made Christmas. I really think it is all about the love. We all want to feel the love and warmth of those we care about and give that love as well.

I know, I know… we sometimes feel we are in the lost episode of Christmas Vacation instead of a Norman Rockwell Christmas. In fact, I will confess this before the world… sometimes I feel like Chevy Chase when he starts to go crazy and walks down the stairs cutting off the squeaky banister with a chainsaw. But, in the end it is the love we share as we celebrate the Greatest Gift ever given that makes a wonderful Christmas.
Just remember, even though friends and family can drive us crazy, sharing it with them can and should be a major factor in our celebration of Emmanuel. After all it is because of our Father’s love that He gave His Son that we might have a restored relationship with Him. This year my favorite Christmas verse has become John 3:16. Read it in the context of Christmas.
For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son,
that whoever believes in Him should not perish but have everlasting life.
May you celebrate this Christmas by giving your love to those around you. (even if they do drive you crazy sometimes:)
Merry Christmas, Chad, Heather, Will, Samuel, Benjamin, and Baby Boy due in the spring (four boys?!! I hope Cathy is writing a manual...i am going to need it :)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I don't think I realized until this Christmas how much the presents don't really matter. Now that I'm in the "real" world and don't have the freedom to travel home almost anytime I want to, and take vacations when I want, the time I do have with my family and friends is so much more important to me.
and kudos, to the difference between guys and girls! :) I mean men and women!