Monday, December 03, 2007

Live Life Well

I have been contemplating life today. The funeral service for John Cooper was held a little while ago. I have known John for seven years. He has a beautiful wife and four wonderful boys. He died a few days ago very suddenly at 52 years young. It hit me harder than I would have ever expected and for a couple of reasons.

One reason is that it took me back to memories of losing my dear mother. She was 49 when she died. It took me back to the questions I asked. (And still do) It also reminded me of the sorrow I felt when my son Will was born. I would never get to see the joy of her meeting Will, Samuel, and Benjamin for the first time. My mom loved me and would have flipped out to see our three incredible boys. So there is this sadness for all the life that I would never get to experience with her.

The other reason the passing of John has been difficult is because there are few people in the world who can understand my crazy life. I have three perfectly rambunctious boys and Heather is at this moment pregnant with our fourth child. (We don’t know the gender yet) John knew what it was like to have a house full of boys. He understood the chaos that often engulfs me:)Whenever we would talk he would encourage me to love every minute of it. He understood all too clearly that children grow up fast and there will be a day when you will look back and miss those times. He took that time with his family and encouraged me to do the same. He helped me have a proper perspective.

As my boys have gotten older and started sports he would often cheer me on with a big smile and say “It is so fun watching them play!” Oh, he loves his boys and through all the craziness of life his reminder to me is “don’t just get through it, but enjoy it!” Grab those boys and look them in the eye and tell them you love them and then live that love out with them.
He made an impact and the truth of that bears witness in the life of his wife and those four young men for sure. But, you know what? It bears witness in my life as well.
The testimony of John Cooper stands this day encouraging me to love my God, love my wife, and love my boys...and by the way love life!

I guess life is not necessarily summed up in how long you live but, how well you live it. May you, like John, live your days well.




In Memory of John Ireland Cooper
October 30, 1955 – November 28, 2007

1 comment:

joshua cooper strategy blog said...

Wow Chad - Abby Remein sent us the link to this page. Chad, that is a touching tribue to Dad and you summed it up so nicely at the end when you said "life is not necessarily summed up in how long you live but, how well you live." Dad lived well. Thanks Chad