Tuesday, September 25, 2007

Humility and Others

What a solemn thought, that our love for God will be measured by our everyday fellowship with men and the love it displays. How solemn that our love for God will be found to be a delusion, unless its truth is proved in standing the test of daily life with our fellowmen. It is even so with our humility. It is easy to think we humble ourselves before God. Yet humility toward men will be the only sufficient proof that our humility before God is real. It will be the only proof that humility has taken up its abode in us and become our very nature—that we actually, like Christ, have made ourselves “of no reputation” (Phil. 2:7). When in the presence of God, lowliness of heart has become not a posture we assume for a time when we think of Him or pray to Him but the very spirit of our lives, it will manifest itself in all our behavior toward our fellowmen.
This lesson is one of deep importance. The only humility that is really ours is not that which we try to show before God in prayer, but that which we carry with us in our ordinary conduct. The insignificances of daily life are the tests of eternity because they prove what spirit really possesses us. It is on our most unguarded moments that we really show and see what we are. To know the humble man to know how the humble man behaves, you must follow him in the common course of daily life. – Andrew Murray

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was thinking about this yesterday ... as I walked from class to class and all I could think about was the sweet bible study I was going to teach that night. All the while, in my religiosity, I was ignoring the lost and hurting people all around me. It is amazing how much can come of saying, "hey, how are you doing today?".

Anonymous said...

Amen, my brother. This week has definitely been a test of humility for me. If you don't know already I was in a car accident last friday afternoon that was my fault. So not only do i have to pay a debt for the mistake I made but I'm now without a car for a little while. You know, sitting at home and depending on others to give you rides to work, church, wherever is a humility-packed thing. Its something that i've always struggled with because while i've had some great people in my life, i've others that have let me down in big ways. So i ask forgiveness everyday for having a "trust no one-trust only me first mentality" and continue to ask God to keep chipping away at this stubborn, prideful square peg so one day i'll fit into that round slot He has for me. But I'm also realizing you can't do it alone, its encouraging to have you and adam and others in our ministry to help you push into that round slot. I don't know if that makes any sense but i just wanted to respond. Thanks for sharing.