Friday, April 11, 2008

Last Lecture

Randy Pausch's is a computer science professor at Carnegie Mellon Univeristy. He was recently diagnosed with terminal pancreatic cancer. He recently made his what he called his "Last Lecture" at Carnegie Mellon to a packed auditorium. A book is forthcoming in which he gives the wisdom of his own life. He is husband and father of three small children. Below is a video with some interview clips.
http://www.bordersmedia.com/features/video/lastlecture.asp

If you watch the video you will see that Randy Pausch is not a weak-hearted man. Where some would give up he is not. Throughout the interview you can hear of his love and devotion to his family. What strikes me most is the ferocity with which he is living these last months and that is a good reminder to me that tomorrow is not promised. I should live my life preparing, teaching, loving, and strengthening my family. That is a lesson I can learn from professor Pausch.

However, I was deeply troubled by the interview and if you watched it I hope you were as well. There was the complete absence of hope in his words.

One thing he said really saddened me …“If you live your life the right way the karma will take care of itself.” There is no hope in a statement of that nature. The fact is that the world is a hard place. Bad things happen, people die, babies get sick, and we lose those we love. But, karma and a strong will are nothing to hope in.

I am so thankful that when life hurts and the fall takes its final toll, the battle is not lost for those who have their faith an hope in the Lord Jesus Christ.

Put yourself in Randy Pausch’s position. How would you respond to news that you had terminal cancer? How would you react? What would you do?

What would be the message of your “Last Lecture”?

Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who according to His abundant mercy has begotten us again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, 4 to an inheritance incorruptible and undefiled and that does not fade away, reserved in heaven for you, I Peter 1:3, 4

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

That's encouraging to learn from the motivation this man has, but also know of the love he was missing to push me in a way to live out Christ.