Friday, October 12, 2007

If you grew up in church...This one's for you.


These people draw near to Me with their mouth,

And honor Me with their lips,

But their heart is far from Me. Isaiah 29:13

Many of us grew up in church. Those days of being carted off to the wooden pew have grown into hit or miss days of attendance down at the church. Many times we go to satisfy the badgering of parents or relieve the guilt of not going because you know you’re supposed to go. If this is you then you desperately need to hear what I am going to say.

From the time I was six until seventeen I went to church regularly. Then something happened. I remember it as clearly as anything I could ever remember. God called me to preach. Where I came from you were either a preacher or a deacon and neither of them looked too fun. A lot of things led me to not trust God in those days and none of them had to do with Him. But, I ran. Friend, listen to me. I don’t know if you can sense the shame through this message. But, I can never explain the hurt that my disobedience caused others and most importantly the shame that was brought to my Savior. From seventeen until about twenty-two I became despondent toward church. I could count on my hands the number of times I went to church in those years and it was for the reasons that are stated above.
However, all that time I was under such deep conviction. Yes, I was saved and you will not believe this but I prayed nearly every night for God not to strike me dead. In my disobedience I often read my Bible( Funny, huh.) I never opened the book of Jonah in those years. I was afraid to because I knew the message. I knew enough of the Bible to know that continual disobedience had its consequences for God’s people.
By His grace and mercy I ended up at a church in Atlanta that preached unashamedly the Gospel of Jesus Christ and just as importantly lived it out. I was miserably living in disobedience, but there I was convicted. God radically changed my life in that place and I repented and began to follow God.
If you grew up in church, but in your life there is no hunger for the things of God at all then you are probably lost and on your way to hell. Now would be a great time for you to repent of your sin and ask God to forgive you. Believe on the Lord Jesus and you will be saved. If you are reading this and you are convicted about your relationship with God…Repentance is the only good option for you as well. You can rebel but you will regret it on this side hopefully and on the next side for sure. Trust an old runner…it is not worth it! LISTEN! Please turn to God and let Him give you forgiveness, grace, and mercy.
I am most certainly not trying to make you feel guilty to get you to church. I am trying to encourage you to turn to Jesus in repentance and renew your relationships with Him. I have been the college and singles minister at Bay Leaf for 7 years. I have seen the effects of sin on lives all too often. Life is not a joke and you only get one chance to live it.
My prayer is that we would wake up and understand what it means to love God love others and live authentically. There is a lost world out there looking for something in which to believe.
The world has enough church goers! Save the pew space and stay at home. (Just kidding…kind of…) And please quit calling yourself a Christian if you are living like hell. This world needs some authentic followers of Jesus Christ. Hear me and hear me well. If you are living a disobedient life listen to the words of King Solomon.



My son, do not despise the LORD's discipline and do not resent his rebuke, because the LORD disciplines those he loves, as a father the son he delights in. Blessed is the man who finds wisdom, the man who gains understanding, Proverbs 3:11-13

If you have no idea of what it means to follow Christ do not let the above statements alarm you. There are many people out there who are living an authentic Christian life. That means they really do love Jesus and there life actually exemplifies that Truth. You will find these people to be deeply loving and unwavering in their devotion. They will not be perfect but they will also quickly admit that.

Most importantly they will be intent on bringing much Glory to the God who saved them and will want you to know the truth of that in your own life. If you are reading this please know that I am praying for you and want your life to honor God first and foremost because I know based on The Word of God (Bible) and from my own personal experience that true fulfillment and purpose is only found here.

No comments: